Monday, January 24, 2011

So much for trying...

I have stated previously that I am not a crafter. I admire those who are, am jealous of their talents. I however tend to purchase all the necessary items, (because although I am not a crafter, I am a shopper) and then they sit in my home office for the next 4 or 5 years. I know I am not alone in this, but recently I have been reminded of my place in this world.
I go to church every Sunday. This is where I see many great and sweet ladies that I otherwise don't socialize with. This is only because, I work, I am tired and my social network is with those I work with. Any way, some of these ladies of whom I have longed to be friends with in the past, invited me to get together and make this certain craft with them. They had told me they were meeting up in 3 weeks and I thought, I can take the day off of work and spend time with these women. So the morning of the "BIG" craft day comes around and I am called into work. Apparently for this special day, these ladies had someone from another state in town to teach us this new trendy application.
Back to work, so I was called into work that morning. Just after the craft day was to commence I receive a phone call from the lady that invited me and she is wondering where I am. I tell her of my call into work and she says to me. "Now what are we supposed to do?" I go on to tell her that I already paid for my supplies and that they can continue without me, not to worry. She lets me know that some of the ladies attending can help out and make my item for me, I then tell her that was not necessary, but she insisted. Thinking to myself that I let my newest invite to the homemakers social circle down, and that it was immediately squashed because of my work schedule, I started to feel a little guilty about not attending.
Next day while attending church a different women which had attended the "BIG" craft day, says to me while laughing, "Oh, I get it, it would be nice to not have to show up and have everyone else finish my work for me too." I was a little taken back and go on to explain that I had to work and informed those involved that "helping" me was not necessary.
Thus, that will probably be my last attempt to fit in with the crafty, perfect mother crowd.
Why is it that we have to get our "digs" in whenever we can? I am also at fault of this, however I would never try to make someone feel bad to their face.I guess that doesn't make it any better, but I did earn quite a bit extra money filling in at work that day, so I guess not all is lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment