Thursday, February 10, 2011

Does it help to be a woman in your current job?

When I was hired in my current position, I was told my employer liked to have a woman in that office. They aren't hiring only women however, if they found one they liked, they preferred a woman to a man. That is OK with me. That is an honest answer, and when we live in such a politically correct world, I respect the honesty.
Let me make one thing clear, my current employers are smart, they wouldn't hire a woman just for the sake of hiring a woman in this office, but it does influence who they decide to hire.

So, I was on the phone yesterday with a gentlemen who I do some computer and social media work for. He has an upcoming project that will require an account manager, something someone can do from home, but it helps that the person is happy, sweet, smart & preferably a woman, because it "disarms"  the customers.

The question is, are you  offended to be hired partially on your gender? Some women may be offended. They may only want to be considered on their merits, however, does the fact that women are more disarming than men count as part of your "merits". Obviously with my previous statements I am not in any way offended by this concept. Judgements are made, if you like it or not, especially when the customer can only hear you, and not see you. (phone accounts, etc.)

My personality works well for me. It always has and it opens doors. I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Well behaved women, seldom make history."  Maybe, I won't be front page on the New York times for being pleasant, happy and understanding of my customers, but I will be a top producer for my company, because I am nice and people like me. Simple as that.

3 comments:

  1. In my experience, this can work both ways. Sometimes it helps to be a girl, but some people – men and women both - can also be rude and condescending to you because you are a woman, especially a young one, but once they speak to a male about the same issue they are suddenly polite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, I have a close friend that is holds a "mans" position at the dealership, and the other day she was told to go home and have babies, because she obviously couldn't do her job.

    ReplyDelete