Friday, January 17, 2014

Dinner Time Judgement

Our 14 year old son taught us a lesson the other day that frankly embarrassed my husband and I. As we ate our amazing rosemary pork roast and bruschetta, my son thought he would open the dinner conversation with "I've decided our family is too judgemental."
After 5 seconds of silence I responded, "You are probably right, Dad and I really need to work harder on that."
Just when I thought I had escaped the warranted disappointment, my husband chimed in, "OK, we will try very hard to be less judgemental, except with horrible drivers, we draw the line there." My son tried to defend bad drivers with the standard, 'you don't know that they aren't trying', but my husband and I wouldn't give in.
What 14 year old does that? What teenagers notice that there needs to be a clear conscience and kind heart.
I am sure there are other teenagers out there, but I am proud of mine. My poor children had a mother that was way too rebellious, and thus they have to continue to teach me life lessons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment