Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Got an offer, turned it down, crap! The hell that is Wyoming.

In my desire to relocate my family, I had a job offer in Douglas, WY. For those from Douglas, WY, sorry, you probably shouldn't read on.
Douglas, WY is 11 hours away from my home, one way. Because I couldn't tell my current employer that I had a final interview and job offer, I had to squeeze the 22 hours of driving into about 48 hours of actual time. Which for those of you that can't help your children with their math homework, that would leave 26 hours over two days, for sleep and non driving time. It sucked.
Not only did I have to squeeze the drive, sleep and a 2 hour interview into that 48 hours, I also had to do all of this on my way to and in Douglas, WY.
Lets explain, Wyoming is barren, ok dramatic, it has small hills and sage brush, so I guess that is something. It also regularly has up to 30-40 mile per hour winds, I know what you are thinking, heaven, right? Am I right? But, there are a few cute towns along the way.
Anyway the only reason we would consider Douglas, is that there is also a lot of great paying jobs for my husband as well, so frankly money talks.
Then I drove around town, new elementary school, new bridges, looking good, oh, wait, what? Houses leaning, paint peeling, piercings glaring totally interfering with my sight. Re-thinking... how much money is hell worth? Tough question.
Never the less, the realist in me tells me I would rather earn $7 an hour than live in hell. I would rather my children not have to raise themselves. I will get to the point, Douglas, WY sucked. Every exit on the highway had barriers that if it gets too windy or stormy they can shut it down quickly, ding, ding, ding, how many red flags do I need?
So, obviously I turned the job down, my employer does not know about my 2 day marathon and I am back to the beginning. 
Se la vie.

7 comments:

  1. a few years ago we had a job interview in Miles City Montana... simular experience, thus my husband drives to Missoula everyday and we still live where it is beautiful, a place called home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it would've been nice if they had phone interviewed you and saved you some trouble (and gas!). Good luck with your job hunt, you will find something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cali, we did have a few phone interviews. It was really good money, so we decided to give it a try and go out. Not enough money in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it didn't work out. Everything happens for a reason - you are not meant to live in hell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mel, I sure as hell hope not. (ok that was a terrible pun)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you through twitter...
    I use to live in Glenrock Wy. I know Douglas. Yuck! LOL My ex-husband worked for the mine up there. I had to drive him to Douglas in the mornings (one car) so he could catch the bus to the mine. I have to say, I did not like my time in Wy.

    ReplyDelete