Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The 5th grade anatomy/hormone talk, yippee......

I am sitting at work, swearing at my network blocker that won't allow you to read blogs, post on Facebook, basically anything interesting. Anyway, as the expletives launch out of my mouth, I get a call. It is from my 11 yr old's son 5th grade teacher.
So, last week there was a bright blue form that came home in the back pack from school. I love how they make the forms bright colors so you don't miss them. Attention school, I don't pay attention to the bright form or the white form, frankly I just ignore them all.
I digress. The form is titled "Growth & Development Class"...... (they tried really hard to think of that title, you know they did) 
Back to the phone call from the 5th grade teacher. She has asked if I had seen the infamous form. I said, yes, I meant to send it back to school, but just have forgotten. She proceeds to tell me that the kids in the class are freaking out, embarrassed to turn the form in and just aren't taking the form home to their parents. I go on to inform her that the form is on my fridge and I will return it the next day. This form asks for your permission to allow your child to sit through a DVD that discusses "changes" in their bodies. If you choose not sit your child through this, he can go to library or something.
After I returned home from work this evening, I decided to ask my son what he had heard about this class, if he would like me to explain things to help prepare him for the class, or whether he would like me to let him skip the class and I would do all the talking, or he doesn't have to talk to me and he can take the class.....................He wanted to talk to me. So, we talked about hormones and hair growth in strange places, and all the many more disgusting and gross things that happen to boys. (Frankly such an easier talk than explaining what happens to girls) After about 20 minutes and pure shock on my sons face, I decided he had had enough.  I then ask him if he wants to stay in class for the talk and DVD (how lucky). He said he had heard enough and that he didn't need to attend the class.
He did say he wanted to talk with me again and how glad he was that we didn't talk about anything "inappropriate". Got to love him.
I have successfully survived my first "talk"with my 11 yr old son. My husband giggled the entire time.
So, he will not be sitting through the DVD. I am glad he is fine with our discussion and that I didn't scar him for life......Yay hormones!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what fun. I guess Mr. Giggle Guts gets to talk to him next time. My husband manages to disappear every time these conversations start.

    ReplyDelete