Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hare Krishna Festival of colors of 2011

What a fun time we had. Family and I are in Utah visiting extended family and doing some work stuff. My beautiful cousin called and had a fun activity for us to do together. The Hare Krishna Festival. No, we weren't required to chant, although the mixtures of rock music and chanting were interesting. There were thousands of attendees covered in multi color chalk, dancing, singing.
But, the most fun was to see my own children unwind. Making friends with other chalk colors.

OK I will explain. The festival celebrates the triumph of good over bad with music, chanting and dancing.
"It's a festival of love where people can come and love each other face to face and that's why it's so popular," said festival coordinator Charu Das.

Every two hours, there is a countdown where everyone, when reaching that all so common, 3,2,1.....throw all colors of chalk  in the air. People are cheering and dancing. The cloud of chalk is like a rainbow dream. There was no drinking, which to some would be a disappointment, but with thousands in attendance, we were still able to bring our children.

We purchased our chalk in the pavilion, we did not get to pick our colors, so we had two different pinks, and yellow to throw in the air and at each other. Unfortunately, everything I do needs to be pretty, although pretty is relative when you are trotting around in the mud and covered in chalk, but you could be prettier and have the "right" colors thrown on you. So what did I do, I collected colors. Those walking by that had green, purple or orange, I would throw my chalk on them and they would reciprocate. So there I am, eyeing each passerby to ascertain their "color". Only I can take a festival of happiness and joy and turn it into a sting operation. Nevertheless this was such a fun day to spend with the family. Enjoy the pictures...







1 comment:

  1. You sure do know how to have some weird fun!! I have never heard of anything like this before - seriously cool!!

    ReplyDelete